Monday, February 15, 2010

Make it Monday

OK.  I have been such a bad blogger recently.  I am going to try something new.  I will try to come up with topics for the days of the week to blog about.  Since I have a profound love for food and cooking, I have to devote at least one to two days to food.  I have named Mondays as Make it Mondays.  I will include a recipe I have created for you to try.  Since I have a hard time following recipes (due to ADHD), I do a lot of cooking from scratch.  My husband has convinced me that I need to start writing them down.  I never make the same thing twice because by the time I get around to cooking it again, I forgot how I made it to begin with.  So, if I make myself write out a recipe after I have created something worthwhile, I will have a hard copy to go by the next time.  Make sense?  Probably not, but here it goes anyway.  Now...because Caleb has allergies to eggs, chicken, etc. I have substituted anything calling for eggs with an egg substitute (no-egg powder from Susan's Natural World) or with a tablespoon of applesauce.  I use either/or depending on what I have on hand.  Also, whenever I can buy and use organic ingredients, I do.  I add flax seeds, probiotics, fiber powder and other supplements whenever possible.  If you try any of my recipes and want to omit these additions, feel free to do so.  They are nearly flavorless so shouldn't make a difference as far as taste is concerned.  This banana bread was so quick and easy.  I love to use semi-homemade techniques (like baking mix instead of measuring out baking powder, soda, etc.).  So, you will see a lot of ways I have adapted recipes so as to cut cooking corners.  This is helpful as my household can get kind of crazy between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00.  So, the easier I can make something, the better.

Better than Grandma's Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 cup of sugar
2 eggs (or replacer)
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 mashed ripe bananas
3/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
2 cup biscuit mix (like bisquick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp finely ground flax seeds
2 Tbsp Benefiber powder
1 Tbps Probiotic powder

Cooking Instructions:
Cream sugar, butter and eggs with handheld mixer.  In the mean time, mash bananas with a fork in a seperate bowl.  When done with these two steps, combine the ingredients and add baking mix, nutmeg, vanilla, and supplements (flax, benefiber and probiotics).  Once combined, transfer bread mixture to a loaf pan which has been buttered and floured so it doesn't stick once it is baked.  Place loaf pan in a preheated 350 degree oven.  Bake for one hour until golden on top. 

Again, this recipe was super easy, almost nutritious and the kids were able to assist me by greasing the pan, mashing bananas and sprinkling the vitamins in the mixture.  Hope you enjoy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Make it Monday idea! Any way you can get the smell into the blog???
versolat

Heather D said...

I wish. Cause it mel good. (per Caleb)...haha

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mommy to three wonderful children. I love to be with them and watch them learn and grow. I am also a loving wife to the fantastically patient Aaron.

player


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers