Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What are my options?

Trevor: What are my options...to play with toy guns or to get a milkshake?

Mommy: Well, Trevor...considering I don't approve of you playing with toy guns, I would say getting a milkshake would be better and safer. You never know if a gun is fake or real, so you should probably just play with something else anyway.

Trevor: OK...if you are going to go that way, then I want a milkshake AND a cheeseburger. Then I won't play with toy guns.


Who taught him how to negotiate like that? Cracks me up. I guess I will be getting milkshakes and burgers for lunch tomorrow. I never knew I would be so adamant about pretend weapons. Maybe when Trevor started beating up friends at playdates. Maybe since Caleb has spent the better half of three years at the hand of his older brother. Who knew? And the whole Spongebob thing gets me too. I'm sure the kids would be fine whether they watched Spongebob or Mister Rogers. But, I think there is so much more to gain from watching shows of value. So, call me a prude. Whatever.

Oh yeah...and while I am on the topic...Trevor and Caleb don't know and don't need to know that the "Music Truck" serves ice cream. Besides the fact that Trevor doesn't need the extra sugar. We have convinced him for the last four years that the music truck drives around and makes music to help fussy babies fall asleep in the summer. Note to those who see our kids on a regular basis: THE MUSIC TRUCK DOES NOT SERVE ICE CREAM OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT.


4 comments:

Karen said...

Sly little ones! They know exactly what they're doing!
I'm with you regarding the weapons. My girls and I were at a birthday party over the weekend where a 5 year old boy ran around pointing a toy gun at people saying "surrender or you'll die". My two started crying everytime he got near them~ the mother ignored it. Ugh!
:)
Karen (from Enrich)

Heather D said...

So nice to know I am not alone. I feel like such a drill sergeant and a prude. Oh well...at least I can say I tried, right?

happyhubbub said...

I had to finally find middle ground on the guns cuz my dh thought I was a weirdo. No shooting at PEOPLE, only OBJECTS. And I outlawed all videogames that shoot at people as well. If you wanna kill aliens or targets go for it, no people. My boy's 15 now and I STILL stick to this rule - although he thinks I'm nuts.

I LOVE the music truck though...wish I'd thought of that years ago!

Heather D said...

wildwesthome...good ideas. I know it is inevitable. And they make fake guns out of sticks and grass, but teaching them to shoot at targets and NOT people is better than nothing, right?

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mommy to three wonderful children. I love to be with them and watch them learn and grow. I am also a loving wife to the fantastically patient Aaron.

player


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers